As autumn settles in, temperatures begin to dip and leaves change on the trees, I’ve gotten inspired to cook and bake again. My daughter really enjoys cooking and baking as well. For the last several weeks she has been asking me to read recipes out of a cookbook for bedtime stories.😆
I was inspired to dust off the following recipe after making apple butter from our haul to a local orchard. The smell of fresh-baked bread is divine. Watching the steam rise up out of a warm loaf is heavenly. We’re a family of carbivores (lovers of bread and gluten) in our family and this recipe is a hit. I highly recommend it. The crunchy crust and soft center are a delicious reward for easy work.
This is a simple recipe. It only takes 5 ingredients. I first had it after being invited over to a friend’s house for dinner several years ago. I was so impressed that she made bread but she told me how easy it was and handed me the recipe on a sticky note. The rest is history. This is a great recipe that is very easy to make and doesn’t require a breadmaker. Make the dough in the morning and have it ready to go by dinner or prepare before bed and have fresh bread at breakfast. Enjoy!
- 3 cups flour
- 1 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 packet active yeast
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Fill a measuring cup with warm water and add a packet of yeast and sugar. Stir until well combined.
- Combine salt and flour in a large bowl.
- Add water/yeast/sugar mixture to the flour. Mix with a fork. Set aside and cover with a clean dish towel for at least 8 hours.
- Thirty minutes before baking, set aside on a floured surface. I use a cutting board.
- Pre-heat over to 450 degrees.
- Coat a loaf pan in non-stick cooking spray and bake for 40 minutes.
- Check the center of the bread with a toothpick and make sure it comes out clean.
- Slice and serve warm. Best with butter.
This is a pretty foolproof recipe and I would love to hear if you try it. Great for breakfast with a special jam/spread and just as delicious dipped in a hearty soup or chili. Happy baking. ❤️👩🏿🍳